How To Get A Skippers Ticket

How To Get A Skippers Ticket

To get your Skippers Ticket you need to pass a both a Theory Test and a Practical Test. You can do them both together at your local boat ramp, every day. Just book a date and time that suits you and we will send you all the info, extra notes, links etc.
The best way to study for your skippers ticket is to do so at home, using the free student workbook, watch the DVD produced by Perth Boat School and test yourself using the free online practice quiz. When you are confident that you can pass the theory test, you are then ready for assessment.
You should then meet a trainer at the boat ramp or marina you selected in your booking. The trainer will give you a multiple choice theory test consisting of 40 multiple choice questions. When you have passed the theory test you are then ready to do  some Practical Training, then do the Practical test.
You could get your Skippers Ticket on the spot in less than 2 hours.
You can do it EVERY SINGLE DAY. Trainers are assigned to work around when you want to do your skippers ticket. You simple make a booking for a time and location that suits YOU.
Qualified and professional trainers are available at Hillarys, Maylands, Coogee, Fremantle, Rockingham, Mandurah, Bunbury, Busselton, Albany, Exmouth and many other ramps and marinas around WA.
Just order a trainer to come to you using theEASY fully online system and we can send one to you.

What to expect on the day:

Skippers Ticket Paper Work

The required documentation for an RST is fortunately minimal. A valid Australian Drivers Licence or current Learners Permit is all that is required for the vast majority of RST applicants. As a driver’s license holder or student with a learner’s permit has had their eye site tested by the Department of Transport as a prerequisite, this form of identification is all that is required to prove adequate eyesight for recreational boating. However, we recommend you read through the skippers ticket paper work page to make sure you have everything required.

If you do not have a current driver’s license, you will need to provide alternative proof of identity, as well as provide an eye sight test.

Proof of identity

You need ONE full proof of identity document, no other I.D. required

  • Australian Drivers Licence
  • Australian Passport
  • Proof of age Card
  • Australian Defence force photographic identity card
  • Federal or Western Australian police officer photographic identity card
  • Marine Certificate of Competency carrying a photograph of the holder

If you think you are unable to provide any of these items follow this link to get all the info on I.D. requirements:

As eyesight is crucial for the safe operation of any vehicle, proof of adequate eyesight is required for those who cannot provide a current drivers license or learners permit.

Under 18

Students over 14 years of age are allowed. If the student is under 18 they will need to provide a Department of Transport Letter of Consent form, filled out by a parent/legal guardian.

These forms can be downloaded from the Department of Transport HERE.

Eye Sight

This  eye test MUST be completed and filled out using the correct Department of Transport form otherwise your application will likely be rejected. To download the form click here: Eyesight Test/Medical Declaration formThe eyesight test can be carried out by any medical professional- G.P., Optometrist, or registered nurse.

Medical Declaration

The Medical Declaration is a self declaration, however, if you believe you may have a medical condition that could affect your ability to safely and responsibly skipper a boat, a medical examination is required.

Such medical conditions include:

  • Epilepsy, fits, Giddiness, Fainting, Seizures,
  • Heart Disease
  • High/Low Blood Pressure
  • Arthritis
  • Type 1 Diabetes
Please note that the Declaration of Medical Fitness is attached to the eyesight form. The Declaration of Medical Fitness only needs to be done if you have a serious medical condition (see above).